The distribution mix in marketing management is important as it ensures the availability of the right product to the right place at the right time. The distribution channel is a path through which goods move from the manufacturer to the customer, as well as the payments between the two parties, and hence, it is vital for marketing. In this article, we will explore different aspects of the distribution mix in marketing; read ahead to know more about them.
What Is A Distribution Mix?
To get its products to the customers, a company will use different distribution channels and these selected ones are called distribution mix. Its major components are inventory, communication, warehousing, transport, and unitization. Besides, this will also include additional components depending on the type of business. Also, it is an important part of the marketing mix. The 4Ps of the marketing mix are price, product, promotion, and place. Finally, accurate inventory management plays an important role in the success of any company or business.
What Are The Important Components Of Distribution Mix?
The distribution mix will vary according to the company distribution channels, and this depends on the nature of the business. Shared below are details about five major components of any distribution mix.
- Inventory: This is the most important component of any business distribution channel and depends on the product that you are selling. For instance, in the case of tangible products like shoes, the inventory will be the number of pairs of shoes available for sale at one time. However, this may not be true when selling digital products as it does not require a set number of items for sale.
- Warehousing: In the case of a large number of physical inventories, you need warehousing space to store them. Besides, you will also require a process or metrology to locate them easily in the warehouse, so that they can be shipped to the customers without delay. Moreover, the efficiency of this process determines the success or failure of a business. For example, any fault or breakdown in warehousing can damage a business.
- Communication: Marketing, sales, emails, social media marketing, direct marketing, etc., are some of the different aspects of communication. In a nutshell, it includes all modes of communication that are required for launching, marketing, selling, and promoting a product to make it successful. Moreover, strong communication is required for retaining, as well as finding new customers.
- Unitization: Unitization is the assembling of different operations to form a single operation.
- Transport: Transporting is the movement of the product from the warehouse to the customer. This along with warehousing affects every aspect of a distribution channel.
We hope that the details shared above gave you a better understanding of the importance of the distribution mix in marketing.